A year ago, we bought our house. It was a short sale, so it was a very long, very drawn-out process in which we were never confident that we would prevail. Our patience and dogged clinging paid off, and my Charles and I became first-time home buyers.
Don't worry. The icicles were the first things to go.
Fast forward to our one year anniversary of home ownership, and we have so many projects waiting for our attention. Our original plan was to wait for the dry season and paint the exterior of the house. Call us crazy, but we aren't too partial to the color scheme of the Coco's Restaurant franchise. (Coco's is my Charles' dad's favorite place to eat. We hate it, but we take him there because we love him and want him to get to eat something that he enjoys.)
But then we had a really wet late winter and spring. It was good, because we desperately need the water around these parts, but it exacerbated an existing problem. When we had the inspection, we were told that there was a little dry rot behind the worthless trim that followed the edge of the deck that connected to the house. It shouldn't be too big of a problem, we'd just need to replace some of the lower siding and put in some flashing. That wasn't too intimidating. We planned to do that when we were about to repaint the house.
Except I found this one rainy day when I grabbed for my drawing board.
Well, it didn't look like this when I was reaching for my drawing board, but after I discovered my board was moist and growing mold and so was the wall it was leaning against, this came soon after.
And now we come to the reason why I haven't been able to find anything in my office. I shoved my desk out of the way to tear out some of the wall and peel back the carpet. My Charles and I were quickly dismayed to find that part of the subfloor had been destroyed as well as nastified, and we realized that the external paint project would now have to go on the back burner. My cute, little office, my very own sanctuary, now needed a bunch of work.
How did all of that water get into my office in the first place? I thought it might be my sliding glass door, but it was fine. It wasn't the roof. Thankfully, it's sound. So we pulled back that stupid trim to discover more of a problem than the little bit of dry rot we had originally anticipated. Nooooo! Way more of the siding was water damaged than the inspector thought. What was worse, the deck was attached to the house and wasn't just screwed to the deck supports, it was also nailed. To. Everything. So much, much work.
After seeing what my Charles uncovered, he discovered just how colorful my language can get. (He already had an idea. Journalists' use of the swear word dictionary puts sailors to shame.) So now we're a bit stuck. We have a huge chore to fix the exterior, we only really have one day off a week since we go to the bay area every weekend to see my Charles' dad, and our savings are being eaten away by that same 220 mile round trip we take every week. Hence the chaos which was once my organized office/studio.
So now we need to replace part of the subfloor in my office, replace the flooring, replace the insulation and drywall on that external wall, and repaint the area. (That was something I wanted to do anyway, but not like this.) On top of that, we need to fix the outside so that the work on the inside is not all for naught.
UPDATE: Okay. Sometimes I am a whiny baby. Seriously, there are tons of people in the world that need a dish out of time and money a lot more than we do. Hell, even when we're feeling overwhelmed, at least my Charles and I have this:
I apologize for the pity party.
A blog about writing, art, projects, or whatever else tickles my fancy.